Stanhope Society's Security

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Walk to Remember





As we got ready for our walk to the school, many of the younger children latched on to one of the teens. In my case, a girl named Jenny picked me to be her buddy. We basically walked hand in hand until we got the school which was a mile or two away. When we reached the school, she wanted to find as many flowers as possible so we went looking for all sorts of flowers. Most of them were little, but she saw a red rose in one of the planters and told me she really wanted it. I tried to explain that I needed scissors because the stem was so thick, but when I saw the disappointed look on her face, I knew I needed to find a way to get that rose. I finally found a place with no thorns and used my fingernail to cut and twist it until it fell off. When I handed her the rose, she was so happy and went to show all her friends. Next thing I know, she is asking me to get another rose for her friend. After getting the last rose for her friend, Jenny wanted to look for more flowers. Once we decided we had gotten every flower within sight, Jenny wanted to climb on this sign holder. Another boy saw us and wanted a turn so we played on that for a little bit and then everyone started to head back. As we began our walk back, Jenny told me she was thirsty. I tried to tell her we would get some when we got back to the orphanage, but it seemed like it was taking forever. On the way, we passed a farm and stopped at the owners house to see the river that ran through his backyard. Next, the children offered us clovers they picked off the ground that were edible. The clovers were better than I expected and had a nice kick to them. Now, we were only a few minutes away and Jenny wanted a piggy back ride. She didn't know to lean forward so instead, she leaned backwards and nearly fell off. After a minute or two, we decided it was not a good idea and walked the rest of the way. When we got back, I gave Jenny a giant water bottle and it was time for lunch. After lunch, we played with the children some more before saying good bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment